Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Really...? These men were Boy Scouts??

We've had a BE-A-UT-I-FUL time in Utah and Colorado!!! Currently, we're in Blanding, Utah, but were in Colorado at a family ranch the past two days.
Yesterday (our last day), Dad (Eric), Poppie, Uncle Spencer, and a few other guys got together to build a fire for s'mores. Contrary to all their Boy Scout training (using sticks, flint & steel, etc. to build a fire), these "former boy scouts" decided they'd build a fire using grass (green), sticks (green/damp), paper plates, and...gasoline. Spencer thought of this "brilliant" idea--using gas--so he went & got a plastic cup of gas, used some, then set it down on a near-by chair. Dad (Eric) then got the "brilliant" idea that they needed more, so he reached back for the cup. Little did he know/remember: the gas had eaten through the cup, causing small holes in the container. When he picked up the cup, the gas started leaking out the sides and the bottom of the cup dropped out, causing the gasoline to cover his hands, Spencer's shoe, and the surrounding grass (I doubt any got on the fire).
Just then, the box of matches less than a foot from the fire (ya, they really did participate in BSA--you can tell...?) caught fire so Dad grabbed it and started to try to extinguish the fire with his hands. In the process of doing so, his HANDS burst into flames so his next project was getting those taken care of. He finally got them out but not before the box of matches was cooled off--it started his hands on fire AGAIN! (Amazingly enough, his hands are just fine--just the gas burned, it didn't get to his hands.) THEN Spencer's shoe spontaneously combusted so he started jumping around to try & get it out. Of course it was on the top of his shoe, so he whipped it off and stomped on it with the other shoe. Meanwhile, the surrounding grass was on fire and spreading rapidly. (Smooth, guys) So then all three of the guys began stomping around trying to get it out before we burned down the 50 year old ranch & the women brought out buckets of water to help. FINALLY they--the "Boy scouts" as they claim to be--got it under control.
Who knew 10 years of boy scout training would go to waste :P Just kidding. :) They did fine; it was just REALLY scary to watch...

*By the way, sorry we didn't have any pictures, I (Erika) was too stunned watching my dad's hands catch fire & my mom was inside taking care of Yoseseph.*

9 comments:

Sara Crandall said...

that was a funny story. I couldn't stop laughing although I wouldn't be laughing if I was the one with my hands or shoe on fire!

Sara Crandall said...

BTW, it was good to visit with you shortly in Blanding!

Jen West said...

Erika-this is HILARIOUS! I'm so glad no one was hurt. I could just see the whole thing. Great story!

Carroll Family said...

TOO FUNNY!!! - but, only because no one was hurt, thank goodness!

jen said...

Only true boy scouts could extinguish the mistake before it turned on the entire area. See? They really are BSA

Erika said...

Haha it's really funny now--we laugh and say "only true men set themselves on fire and don't get hurt." My dad wants us to believe that he did that on purpose...(ya right; I saw the look of panic spread across his face) Haha my mom wants him to do it again just so we can get a pic for the blog :P

Kim Sandling said...

Do it again, do it again! I want pictures!!!!! J/K! I'm glad you are all well, having fun on your trip, and didn't burn anything off or down! Have a safe and fun rest of the trip!

Anonymous said...

That is too funny! You have a way of writing!

Tammy said...

I can't believe that happened! I'm glad everyone was ok.