Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Thank you Tylenol!
Yesterday Joseph had his surgery on his heels. My Mom came over at 6:00 a.m. and we left for the hospital. Joseph had to start fasting at 3:00 a.m. so I was scared that he would be really fussy but he was an angel and did not make a peep. On the way to the hospital my Mom called and said that we were supposed to be there at 5:30 so we were almost an hour late! Eric dropped us off and we went to the registration desk. We still had to sit and wait so I was glad that we were not there at 5:30 to wait even more. They took us into pre-op and Joseph was still really calm and just slept on my shoulder. As the different doctors came and talked to us I got more nervous ( I did not want my baby to be "put" to sleep but it was the safest way.) They took him into the operating room at about 7:35 and said that they would come out and talk to us in an hour. We went to the waiting room and I tried to read but kept falling asleep. At 8:40 the nurse told us that we could come and see him. As soon as I walked into post-op I could hear him screaming! So they handed him to me but I could not calm him down. I tried to feed him a bottle and he would have nothing to do with it. I tried to breast feed and he would calm down for a minute and then continue screaming. Finally they gave him a Tylenol suppository and he calmed down a little and took a little nap. When he woke up he was still screaming so I handed him to Eric and the screaming continued. They said that they could not let us go until they knew he would eat and be ok. We tried for 2 hours and he just kept on crying so finally we got a different nurse and she asked me if I felt comfortable taking him home and I said Yes so off we went.
When we got home my Mom had done tons of laundry for me and Anna and Jakey were playing together so nice. Eric went off to work and my mom stayed and helped me until Anna went to school. Joseph pretty much screamed all day and did not start eating until late afternoon. My friend Kristin called and offered to bring dinner in and I was so grateful. Other people had offered but I did not think it would be a big deal so I said no but it was so appreciated. Thanks Kristin! Anyways long story short, it is Tuesday afternoon and I have slept maybe 3-4 hours in the last 2 days so I am ready for some sleep sometime. Joseph as long as he has Tylenol in him he is pretty happy and eats really well so we will continue the Tylenol until he is back to his normal happy self. He has his biggest casts ever and they will be on for 3 weeks and then he we will wear his braces. What a brave little baby - we love him.

4 comments:

jen said...

wow. And you're still teaching piano today? Wish I could have talked on the phone for a minute, but I was in the middle of another diarrhea nightmare. Just didn't want you waiting for Lily.
Hopefully he'll calm down soon. Is he in that much pain? That surprises me a little.
Keep it together, and get some rest!

Rydgd said...

Oh, poor little pumpkin. I hope you get some rest tonight. Drug that little dude so you can get some sleep...wish we were around to help out a bit. Keep us posted on his progress.

Allyson & Jere said...

Sorry to hear he's in so much pain, and sorry to hear you're in so much tired! Yucky, but hopefully in the end all worth it. I must request a picture or something. I need to SEE the crazy big casts and then the brace, 'cause I can't visualize without. Hope you're hanging in.

Unknown said...

Yikes! Now I know what I have to look forward too!